- 4 cups pitted apricots, coarsely chopped (I used 3 cups.)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (I used a little less than 2 Tbsp)
- 2 cups rolled oats (I used 1 3/4 cups of steel cut oats)
- 1/4 cup sugar or other sweetener (I used a little less than 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup Spectrum Naturals Spread or margarine (I used a little less than a 1/4 cup of Smart Balance.)
- 2 Tbsp. water (I used a little less than 2 Tbsp.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss the chopped apricots with the lemon juice and set aside.
Combine the rolled oats, sugar, and Spectrum Naturals Spread (Smart Balance or margarine or butter if non-vegan) and mix thoroughly. Remove 1 cup and set aside. Add the water to the remainder and mix until crumbly.
Spray a 9-inch square baking pan lightly with a nonstick spray. Pat the oat mixture into the pan.
Spread the apricots evenly over this and top with the reserved crumb mixture.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top crust is lightly browned.
I think because I used steel cut oats, the crust became a little tough to chew. Probably a little more water when mixing the crust would have helped a bit. Because it does have a chewy texture, I think this would be best served with some vanilla ice cream. Otherwise, this came out nicely. The apricots came out warm and delicate. I thought that the lemon juice complimented the apricots quite well. This recipe was extremely easy to make.