If you’re looking for something crispy and quick to make, these seitan bites will work perfectly for you. They were easy to eat by the handful and were very easy to make.
Crispy “Chicken” Seitan
– 1 package (1 lb, 2 oz) chicken-style seitan, drained
– 1 egg or egg substitute
– 1 t mustard
– 1 t lemon juice
– 1 cup panko (or bread crumbs)
– 1 1/2 t Italian seasoning
– 1 1/2 t dried oregano
– 1 t garlic powder
– 1 t onion powder
– 1 t dried vegetable bouillon powder
– dash of cayenne
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
– Cut seitan into equal size pieces no smaller than 1 inch. (Smaller pieces tend to dry out when baking.) Set aside.
– In small bowl, crack egg and combine with mustard and lemon juice. In another small bowl, add the rest of the dry ingredients.
– Put seitan pieces first in egg then dredge in panko crumb mixture. Place coated pieces into a glass baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
– Cook for about 25-30 minutes until seitan is heated through and outside is browned. Take care not to cook too long or it will dry out. Flip pieces over about halfway through cooking. Remove smaller pieces during baking if larger pieces are not finished cooking yet.
I served the seitan with whole wheat couscous and tomato and goat cheese drizzled with a homemade honey-balsamic vinaigrette.