I’m still moving forward with the sprinters points on this Vegetarian Tour de France. I’m looking for fast and flavorful recipes and these beets fit the bill. As a bonus, they are so brightly colored that they’ll liven up any dull plate. (Rather than a sprinter’s jersey perhaps these should get the most aggressive jersey because of the deep red color?) They do have a strong flavor but they do take some of the “ick” out of the beet aversion some folks may have.
French Baked Beets
From Not Just Recipes.com
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 6 fresh medium beets, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In medium bowl, mix vinegar, garlic, herbes de Provence and rosemary. Place beets in the mixture and marinate 30 minutes.
Place beets and marinade in a 7×11 glass baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes, or until beets are tender.
Remove beets, place on a serving dish…
and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.