Auntie Megabeth was at it again with this kid-friendly recipe. I had a challenge before me. You see, The Nephew is sometimes not a fan of “red sauce” with his pasta. It was time to throw a curveball at him to see if he’d like this pizza-flavored fun dish. Well, after being able to help prep this dish he dug into this pizza lasagna with no hesitation and he really enjoyed it. Meanwhile, The Niece happily devoured her pasta with an excited grin. Tested and approved!
Recipe: Vegetarian Pizza-rific Lasagna
Summary: An interesting twist to lasagna that the kids can help make.
- 1 box no cook lasagna noodles
- 1 12oz package refrigerated soy crumbles
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 24oz jars pasta sauce of your choice
- 2 10,7 oz cans cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or other shredded Italian cheese
- Shred cheese
- Crumble up soy burger into piece and stir in spices, set aside. (If using frozen soy crumbles, defrost them first.)
- In lasagna pan, spread a layer of soy crumbles.
- Then add a layer of the sauce.
- Then…put a layer of cheese. (This does get a little messy so have patience as the cheese does tend to fling all around the kitchen.)
- Place lasagna noodles on top of the cheese layer. Overlap the noodles a little bit.
- Then, start the layers over, finishing with a cheese layer on top.
- Add a little water on top and around sides to make sure there is enough cooking liquid. Auntie Megabeth bonus tip: When adding the liquid, it’s best to do this yourself rather than the kids so that you can best eyeball it and it doesn’t get over-watered.
- Pop lasagna into a 450 degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- In the last five minutes, sprinkle on a layer of the shredded cheese.
Cooking time (duration): 45 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Meal type: dinner