Layers of goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and basil. Oh yeah, there’s nothing wrong with that – especially when you’ve got to feed a lot of people. Or, perhaps distract folks while you head back into the kitchen to work on the rest of the meal.
I embellished this recipe only a tiny bit by adding some red leaf basil along with the fresh oregano. This went very over well at a company potluck with some folks remaining non-believers that I actually made it.
Oh, I also had to improvise a bit because I didn’t have a 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Fortunately, I just happened to buy a package of flatbread crackers that came in a little plastic container that was perfect as a mold. You could probably also get a little more “Martha Stewart” on the presentation than I did but you get the idea.
Basil Sun-dried Tomato Goat Cheese Spread
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- Garnishes: dried tomato slivers, fresh oregano sprigs
- French bread slices or crackers
Process first 5 ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
Invert spread onto a serving plate, discarding plastic wrap.