You can make plain rice any day of the week, but with a few extra items (many you probably already have in your pantry) you can take an ordinary side-dish and turn it into something a bit more interesting.
Cooking the rice in tomato juice adds a deep flavor to the base of this recipe. Add to that the salty capers and robust sun-dried tomatoes so it takes on a lighter note. And, finally, who can resist the taste of an artichoke heart, which rounds out this dish.
Summary: A flavorful vegetarian rice dish with an Italian flair.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup rice
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 Tablespoons marinated sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives, drained and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Cook for about 15 – 20 minutes, until rice is done.
Add roasted peppers into the mixture for additional flavor.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian