This week is “clean the pantry” time at the Veggin’ household. So, everything in this meal was with stuff I had already on hand. You can play with the spices a bit, I had a wonderful punjabi chana masala spice blend, so I used that. If you don’t have that exact blend of spices, no worries, use garam masala or stick with combination of cumin, coriander, curry and a little cayenne pepper.
Acorn squash is so incredibly easy to make, especially if you’re stuffing it. I paired preparation of the acorn squash with using the rice cooker, so I barely had to do anything to get this meal put together.
So, not only did I not have to do any shopping for this meal, I barely had to do any cooking. Score!
Recipe: Roasted Acorn Squash with Curried Lentils, Rice and Warmed Goat Cheese
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 cup kasmati rice (or other long grain rice)
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils (moong dal)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon punjabi chana masala spices (or garam masala)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dash cayenne, to taste
- 3 cups water
- olive oil
- toasted hemp seeds
- goat cheese (in log form to cut into about 6 1/4 inch slices)
- bread or panko crumbs
- Put lentils, rice, spices and water in rice cooker. Stir. Cook on regular rice setting (about 30 minutes the rice cooker will shut off when it’s done). (If you don’t have a rice cooker, you can combine the ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer until rice and lentils are soft. Add water as needed while cooking. See why I like the rice cooker? It’s pretty no fuss cooking.)
- Meanwhile, cut the acorn squash in half (longways – from stem to bottom). If the squash does not stay level (with cut side up), remove some of the skin so there is a flat spot.
- Remove pulp and seeds.
- Place on baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- Combine some olive oil and vegetable masala curry (or garam masala) and brush the inside of the acorn squash.
- Place in oven preheated to 400 degrees. Roast acorn squash until it is soft – about 30 – 40 minutes – about the same time it will take your rice/lentil mixture to cook…
- Cut goat cheese into six slices. Coat each side with bread crumbs.
- When rice and lentils are done, scoop some into the roasted acorn squash.
- Sprinkle the top of the rice and lentils with hemp seeds.
- Place goat cheese rounds on baking sheet next to the acorn squash.
- Put baking sheet back in oven for 3 to 4 minutes until the goat cheese is warmed.
- Serve squash with goat cheese on top.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 2