This hummus gives regular black-eyed peas a twist by turning them into a smoky hummus. I threw in some Greek yogurt to add a little more creaminess and added a twist of flavor by using cashew butter. Tahini or a little creamy peanut butter could also work. But, the cashew butter gave it a more robust flavor that I was looking for.
This hummus is incredibly easy to make; just throw it in a blender and you’re good to go.
Recipe: Smoky Black-eyed Pea Hummus
Summary: Not your typical black-eyed peas
- 2 14.5 ounce cans black-eyed peas
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cholula hotsauce (or Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt
Put all ingredients, except for olive and water in blender.
Slowly add olive oil while the blender is on to incorporate into hummus.
Add water until desired consistency is achieved.
Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian