I’ve had this recipe on my “to do” list this summer and finally got around to trying it out. I’m glad I did. It was very easy to make and is really a unique play on a BBQ with southwestern flavors.
The recipe is pretty forgiving as I was missing some of the ingredients, including the chipotle pepper in adobo. Instead I used an adobo chili power and a dash of cayenne in the mayonnaise. And, instead of sliced jalapenos I used a hot jalapeno pickle relish which ultimately added a further depth of flavor.
Summary: A spicy vegan sandwich with bold flavors.
- Marinated Portabellos
- 3-4 small portobello mushrooms (Megabeth adjustment: I bought presliced portobello mushrooms to save some time.)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, seeds removed (Megabeth adjustment: use a dash cayenne and 1 teaspoon adobo chili power if you don’t have chipotles.)
- 1 cup refried beans (Megabeth note: Check to make sure they are vegetarian.)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 pickled jalapeno peppers, sliced very thinly (Megabeth adjustment: I used 4 Tablespoons jalapeno pickle reslish)
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 lb shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 4 crusty French or rustic-style sandwich rolls, or sandwich buns
- Prepare the mushrooms first. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, tomato paste, garlic, oregano and cumin.
- Coat the mushrooms with marinade and let stand for 20 minutes. Warm a skillet over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms, cooking for 5-7 minutes on each side. You can also cook these over a BBQ. Once cooked through, remove from heat.
- To make the chipotle mayonnaise, pulse the vegan mayonnaise and chipotle peppers (or the seasoning if using) in a food processor until smooth. Warm the refried beans either in the microwave or on a stovetop, adding a little water if necessary to create a spreadable consistency. Have ready the tomatoes, avocado or guacamole, lettuce and red onion rings.
- Slice each sandwich roll in half horizontally, and, if desired, remove some of the bread inside to allow more room for the filling. Toast or grill each roll half until hot.
- Assemble sandwich by spreading the inside of a roll with chipotle mayonnaise, then topping that with the refried beans. Stack on the bottom half a generous layer each of eggplant, tomato, avocado, shredded lettuce, jalapeno and some onions. Top with the upper half of the roll.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4