I totally sailed through preparation of this dish. I sliced the eggplants, potatoes and onions and then used my dicer-chopper device. I prepped all of the spices in a small bowl and just dumped them in. I also used pre-sliced jalepenos because, well, they were easy. The rice was thrown into the rice cooker when I uncovered the eggplant and it was done at the same time as the eggplant and potatoes.
A recipe note: I opted to use white pepper instead of chili powder because I’ve cooked a lot lately with chili powder and wanted to alter the flavor profile a little bit. Try it with chili power, I’m sure it will come out nicely!
Recipe: Slow-cooked Eggplant and Potatoes
Summary: A flavorful eggplant and potato dish with a blend of Indian spices
- 1 medium eggplant, stem end removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice (approx. 10-12 cups)
- 3 white new potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 jalepeno, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Combine everything but the salt and parsley into slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Stir once after about 45 minutes.
- After 2 hours, cook uncovered on low for 30 minutes. (If the mixture does not have a lot of liquid, then leave the cover on.)
- Add the salt and parsley. Serve over a fragrant rice such as basmati or jasmine.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 4