The balsamic vinegar and hot sauce in this recipe told me that I had to try it. I was going to make an eggplant parmesean later in the week and wanted a homemade sauce to go with it. I let this sauce simmer on the stove one night, popped it in the fridge and it was still perfect the next day.
What’s not to like about a recipe that lets you squish tomatoes…with your hands? When you do it, though, hold your hand way down in the pot, otherwise you’ll have tomato juice on your stove, on your counters, on your floors, on your walls and on yourself. Don’t ask me how I know…
Recipe: Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
Summary: A flavorful and versatile pasta sauce.
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 56 ozs italian plum tomatoes (whole, with liquid)
- 3 whole roasted garlic (heads, cloves removed from peels)
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions in the olive oil over medium-high heat until soft and golden – about 6 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, salt balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, and basil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you place them in the pan with their juices. Stir to combine well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the roasted garlic cloves and stir to combine.
- Continue to simmer for 30-45 minutes longer until the flavors have come together.
- Serve over your choice of pasta.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian